We all know how important it is to take care of ourselves, but sometimes it’s hard to know where to start. If you’re feeling stressed, here are 101 self-care ideas that can help you feel better. From simple things like taking a deep breath or enjoying a cup of tea, to more involved activities like getting a massage or going for a walk in nature, there’s something on this list for everyone. So take a break and give yourself some TLC!
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and purchase something I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps keep my website up and running and is very appreciated. Thank you for your support! You can read my full disclosure policy here.
In This Post
What Is Self-Care:
Self-care is any activity that people do that helps promote a healthy mind, body and soul. Many people think self-care is just loving yourself, however, it’s more than that. It’s finding the time to enjoy yourself, relax or unwind as well as maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Although this seems a simple process, it’s surprising how many people overlook this concept.
What Self-Care Isn’t:
Although most self-care activities include doing things you may enjoy, it’s not an excuse to do whatever you want, whenever you want!
Here are 3 things self-care isn’t:
- An excuse to continually be unhealthy: A cheat day every once in a while is fine, however, you can’t use “self-care” to justify poor habits.
- Spending excess money on yourself that you don’t have is an easy way into debt. Not the best way to reduce stress!
- Selfish, If you can’t look after yourself properly, how can you look after anybody else?
Why Is Self Care Important:
Stress is one of the major factors that can affect our health and well-being. However, in today’s world, the stress in never far from our lives! If not managed properly stress levels can build up and have detrimental effects on our health. Therefore it’s important to incorporate stress-relieving techniques into our daily living activities.
One of the best ways of relieving stress is with self-care activities. Many self-care techniques alongside small lifestyle changes can help manage many mental health symptoms. They can also help some illnesses from getting worse. Taking time to enjoy some self-care activities can also give you a much-needed boost, especially after a bad day.
If you are feeling stressed, rundown or starting to feel like things are starting to get on top of you, then make some time for some self-care activities. To get you started, we’ve listed 101 self-care ideas that can help reduce stress and improve your health and well-being. Not all these activities will be suited to everyone, however, it’s sometimes worth getting out of your comfort zone and trying something new.
101 Self-Care Ideas:
1. Go for a walk – Fresh air and exercise can do wonders for stress levels.
2. Take a warm bath or shower – Relaxing in warm water can help improve mood and alleviate muscle tension.
3. Have a lunch date with some friends or family – Socialising with loved ones can boost our mood and make us feel supported.
4. Have a spa day at home – Create a relaxing atmosphere with candles, essential oils and soothing music.
5. Cook your favourite recipe – Cooking can be a form of relaxation and enjoyment, as well as nourishing your body.
6. Read some poetry – Poetry can be a form of therapy, as well as providing relaxation and enjoyment.
7. Listen to your favourite music – Music has been shown to have numerous mental health benefits, from reducing stress to improving mood.
8. Practice some yoga – Yoga combines breathing exercises and physical movement, both of which can help manage stress.
9. Watch a sunrise – Take some time to appreciate the beauty of nature and start your day feeling refreshed.
10. Watch a sunset – End your day with a calming activity and reflect on all that you have achieved.1
11. Watch a movie – Relaxing and enjoying a film can be a simple form of entertainment and enjoyment.
12. Get a manicure, either do it yourself or get it done professionally – Pampering ourselves can improve our mood and boost self-esteem.
13. Go to the park and feed the ducks – Spending time in nature and caring for animals can have numerous mental health benefits.
14. Go on a bike ride – A great form of exercise that can improve mood and reduce stress especially if out in nature.
15. Spend time with a pet – Animals can have a calming and therapeutic effect on our mood.
16. Start a journal – Writing down thoughts and feelings can help process them and let go of stress.
17. Have a workout – Exercise is a great way to release endorphins and improve overall health and well-being.
18. Bake something – The process of baking can be calming and the result can be rewarding and enjoyable.
19. Make some homemade spa treats such as soaps or bath bombs – Creating something with your hands can be a form of relaxation and the end result can be pampering.
20. Try out a new hobby – Trying something new can be a great distraction and can give us a sense of accomplishment.
21. Go watch a sporting event – Enjoying a live event can provide entertainment and socialisation.
22. Plan a night out with friends – Socialising with loved ones can improve mood and provide enjoyment.
23. Spend time at your local wildlife reserve – Appreciating nature and animals can have calming effects on our mood.
24. Take a trip to the beach – The sound of the ocean and the feeling of sand on your feet can have a calming effect.
25. Order a takeaway – Treating ourselves to a meal can be enjoyable and reduce stress.
26. Try out some colouring books for adults – Colouring can be a form of relaxation and can improve focus and creativity.
27. Unplug from technology – Take some time to disconnect and enjoy being in the present moment instead of constantly scrolling through social media or watching TV.
28. Get a massage or treatment at a spa – Treating yourself to some pampering can improve physical and mental well-being.
29. Do something exhilarating such as skydiving – Trying something new and exciting can give us a sense of accomplishment and boost our mood.
30. Enjoy a picnic in a local park – Take time to relax and appreciate nature, as well as socialise with loved ones.
31. Take a mental health day – It is important to take some time for self-care and relaxation, especially during times of stress. Don’t feel guilty about taking a break and looking after yourself.
32. Burn some relaxing candles – The scent and ambience of candles can be calming and promote relaxation.
33. Plan a surprise for someone special – Showing someone that you care about them and putting effort into something for them can boost your mood and release those feel-good emotions.
34. Take an online course – Learning something new can give us a sense of accomplishment and can improve overall mental well-being.
35. Learn something new – Trying something new can improve cognitive function and provide a sense of satisfaction. It can be anything from learning a new language to a new skill or hobby.
36. Practice meditation – Meditation has numerous mental health benefits, including reducing stress and anxiety.
37. Indulge in some chocolate/sweet treats – Treating yourself to something tasty can improve your mood, just be sure not to overindulge.
38. Get your hair done – Treating yourself to a new hairstyle or some pampering can improve self-confidence and mood.
39. Take a road trip – Exploring new places and getting some fresh air can have positive effects on mood and overall well-being.
40. Practice deep breathing exercises – Deep breathing activates the parasympathetic nervous system, which helps to reduce stress and anxiety.
41. Enjoy a lie-in – Getting enough sleep is important for overall health and well-being. A lie-in can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
42. Diffuse some essential oils – Certain scents such as lavender and chamomile can have a calming effect on the mind and body.
43. Listen to a podcast – Listening to something informative or entertaining can provide distraction and relaxation.
44. Do something artistic – Artistic activities can relax the mind and improve mood.
45. Draw or paint a picture – Artistic activities such as drawing or painting can relax the mind and improve mood.
46. Watch a musical – Enjoying a musical can be entertaining and uplifting.
47. Take a nap – Napping during the day can improve focus and reduce stress levels.
48. Drink plenty of water – Staying hydrated is important for overall physical and mental health.
49. Do something crafty – Activities such as knitting or scrapbooking can relax the mind and improve mood.
50. Watch funny YouTube videos – Laughing can improve mood and reduce stress levels. Watching funny videos can be a great form of relaxation and entertainment.
51. Wear something that makes you feel great – Dressing in an outfit that makes you feel confident can boost your mood and improve self-esteem.
52. Declutter your space – Creating a tidy and organized environment can improve mood and reduce stress.
53. Go to a museum – Learning and exploring new things can improve cognitive function and overall mental well-being.
54. Practice gratitude – Taking time to appreciate the positive aspects of life can improve mood and overall happiness.
55. Do some volunteering – Helping others can give us a sense of purpose, improve self-esteem and decrease stress levels.
56. Practice mindfulness – Mindfulness can help improve focus and reduce stress and anxiety levels.
57. See a therapist or counsellor – Talking to a professional can provide support and help with managing stress and improving mental health.
58. Go for a hike – Getting some exercise and enjoying nature can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
59. Hang out with someone special – Spending quality time with a loved one can improve overall mood and happiness.
60. Binge-watch a new TV series – Entertaining ourselves can provide distraction and relaxation, helping to reduce stress levels. Just be sure not to spend too much time binge-watching, as excessive screen time can have negative effects on mental health.
61. Treat yourself to something you have always wanted – Indulging in a small (or big) treat can improve mood and self-confidence. Just be sure not to overspend or go into debt.
62. Skip household chores for the day – Taking a break from daily responsibilities can provide relaxation and improve mood.
63. Call someone special – Connecting with loved ones can improve mood and overall happiness.
64. Do something you loved doing as a kid – Doing something that brings back feelings of joy and nostalgia can improve mood.
65. Take time away from those who drain you – Taking a break from negative people or situations can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
66. Do a puzzle – Challenging the mind with activities such as puzzles can improve cognitive function and reduce stress levels.
67. Try a face mask – Taking care of our physical appearance can improve self-esteem and overall mood.
68. Get at least 8 hours of sleep – Adequate sleep is important for physical and mental health.
69. Sing out loud to your favourite tunes – Music can improve mood and sing out loud can release endorphins and reduce stress levels.
70. Start a new DIY project – Taking on a new project can provide a sense of accomplishment and improve mood.
71. Take yourself out on a solo date – Spending time alone can provide relaxation and improve self-confidence.
72. Give yourself a facial – Taking the time to pamper yourself can improve self-esteem and reduce stress levels.
73. Go for a drive – Enjoying a change of scenery can improve mood and provide relaxation.
74. Have breakfast in bed – Indulging in a special treat can improve mood and make us feel pampered.
75. Learn to say ‘NO’ – Setting boundaries and prioritizing our own needs can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
76. Have a spring clean – Decluttering and organizing can improve mood and reduce stress levels.7
77. Go swimming – Exercise and being in water can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
78. Take a cold shower – Taking a cold shower can improve mood and increase alertness.
79. Do something that scares you – Facing our fears can improve self-confidence and reduce stress levels.
80. Read a book purely for fun – Engaging in a fun and enjoyable activity can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
81. Create a compliment jar – Writing down and reminding ourselves of our positive qualities can improve self-esteem and overall mood.
82. Clean your car – A clean and organized environment can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
83. Read your favourite blogs – Reading about topics that interest us can improve mood and provide enjoyment.
84. Do some gardening – Spending time in nature and taking care of plants can improve mood and promote relaxation.
85. Do a jigsaw – Challenging the mind with activities such as jigsaw puzzles can improve cognitive function and reduce stress levels.
86. Have a PJ day – Taking a break from daily responsibilities and relaxing in comfortable clothing can help the mind switch off and de-stress
87. Stargaze – Enjoying the beauty of the night sky can improve mood and provide peace and relaxation.
88. Reach out to a friend you have lost touch with – Reconnecting with old friends can improve mood and provide a sense of connection.
89. Schedule your week/month ahead – Planning and organization can improve mood by reducing stress and helping us feel in control.
90. Go window shopping – Engaging in a leisurely activity and browsing can improve mood and give us focus to reach our goals.
91. Go to your favourite restaurant or cafe – Indulging in a treat can improve mood and make us feel pampered.
92. Look back through some old photos – Reminiscing on happy memories can improve mood and bring a sense of nostalgia.
93. Join a support group – Connecting with others who have similar experiences can improve mood and provide support.
94. Fix a small annoyance in your home – Taking care of small tasks can improve mood by reducing stress and improving our living environment.
95. Purge your closet and give what you don’t need to charity – Clearing out clutter and donating to those in need can improve mood by promoting a sense of altruism and generosity.
96. Hug somebody – Physical touch can release oxytocin and improve mood.
97. Cry if you need to – Releasing emotions can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
98. Admire yourself in the mirror – Practicing self-love and appreciation can improve self-esteem and mood.
99. Spend time in the sun – Vitamin D from the sun can improve mood and reduce stress levels.
100. Re-arrange your space – Redecorating can improve mood by providing a fresh, new environment.
101. Do something that makes you happy – Focusing on activities that bring joy can improve mood and overall well-being.
No matter how you’re feeling, there’s a self-care solution for you. We hope that this list of 101 self-care ideas will help you get started on your journey to better mental health and well-being. What are you waiting for? Start taking care of yourself today!
- 9 Simple ways to get healthy
- 7 Essential oils for a better night’s sleep
- 9 Tips to help you drink more water
- 8 Tips to help you stay healthy in winter
- How to have a self care Sunday