Are you feeling boredom setting in and your motivation slipping away? Or maybe you’re just looking for some ideas on how to make better use of your free time? Look no further, because I’m here to help! In this post, I’ll be sharing with you 85 productive things to do when bored, all easy-to-follow activities that will seamlessly fit into your daily life. Whether it’s organising tasks, going through decluttering rituals or participating in enjoyable hobbies, these tips will give you the inspiration and guidance needed to stay motivated even during the most mundane days.
This post may contain affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link and purchase something I recommend, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. This helps keep my website up and running and is very appreciated. Thank you for your support! You can read my full disclosure policy here.
In This Post
Productive Things To Do When Bored – At Home:
1. Have a spring clean – Nothing feels quite as satisfying as having a home that feels fresh and clean. If the whole house feels too much like a chore then break it up room by room.
2. Clean out the fridge – When was the last time you emptied the fridge and gave it a good clean? Maybe it’s time to defrost the freezer as well.
3. De-clutter – Have a good sort out and get rid of anything you don’t need or use anymore. If anything is still in good condition why not donate to charity or sell online?
4. Organise all your important documents – Get all your bills, insurance details and any other important documents all in one handy place.
5. Re-arrange furniture – A easy way of freshening up a room is to reorganise the furniture.
6. Clean out your kitchen cabinets – When was the last time you went through your kitchen cupboards?
7. Catch up on laundry – It’s a job we all hate doing, but it’s always satisfying once it’s all done!
8. Organise your junk draw/cupboard – We all have that junk draw that’s full of, well Junk! Maybe it’s time to give it a sort out?
9. Clean your make-up brushes – Over time make-up brushes can accumulate bacteria, dead skin cells and oil which can clog your pores leading to dull skin and breakouts.
10. Redecorate a room – Why not freshen up your space by giving it a fresh lick of paint?
11. Catch up with any needed DIY jobs – We all have those little DIY jobs that we just never get around to. Maybe it’s time to tackle one of them.
12. Set up a home information binder – Creating a home information binder doesn’t have to be complicated. Categories you could include are monthly calendars, family information, cleaning & organising, meal planning and finances.
13. Clean your windows – Another one of those chores that we usually neglect.
14. Change your bedsheets – Did you know almost three-fifths of people admit to not changing bedsheets each week as recommended?
15. Give your car a clean – If it’s a sunny day, why not get the hose pipe out and get the car gleaming again?
16. Print out photos and hang around the house – Print out your favourite photo memories and display them around the house.
17. Sell any unwanted items online – One man’s rubbish is another man’s gold. Sort through any unwanted items and earn some extra pounds selling them online such as Ebay.
18. Donate old books to charity – By donating books, you are not only passing on stories to a new home, but you are also helping those less fortunate than yourself.
19. Check expiration dates – When was the late time you checked expiration dates, especially on food items? I know last time I checked, I found a few pantry items a few years out of date lol.
20. Deep clean carpets – From muddy shoes, stubborn pet hair and the odd food stains our carpets cope with a lot more than what our vacuum can contend with!
Productive Things To Do When Bored – Phone Or Computer:
21. Organise your contacts – Update contact details and delete any old numbers that are no longer in use.
22. Clear out any apps you no longer use – Delete any old apps that you no longer use. Not only will it save you memory but it will also make your phone more secure.
23. Clean phone and phone cover – For most of us our mobile phones are stuck to our hands throughout the day. We are all washing our hands more often but how about your phone?
24. Update passwords – Your mobile phone or computer contains lots of sensitive and important data. One of the best ways of keeping things secure is to regularly change your passwords!
25. Organise photos, delete ones you don’t need – If you love taking photos like me then you’ll usually end up with many looking pretty similar! Save some storage space and delete any duplicates or those you don’t need anymore.
26. Unsubscribe to mailing lists you no longer wish to receive – How many times have you subscribed to a newsletter just to get that 20% off that new dress you’re after? Now you’re inundated with emails every other day! Do yourself a favour and start unsubscribing and free up your inbox!
27. Delete old emails – While you’re unsubscribing to all those unwanted emails, why not delete all old emails whilst you’re at it?
28. Turn off unwanted notifications – How annoying are all those unwanted notifications and alerts! Turn them off and focus on the ones that matter to you!
29. Set up emergency contacts – It’s pretty common to set up emergency contacts when at the doctor’s or hospital but how many have them set up on our phones?
30. Update music playlists – You could also make multiple playlists for different moods!
31. Have social media purge – Delete all those accounts that no longer serve a purpose or hurt your well-being! Fill your social media with positive vibes instead!
32. Back up documents and photos – Don’t risk losing important information or memories, back up your files regularly!
Productive Things To Do When Bored – Family Time:
33. Make a weekly meal plan together – Meal planning not only helps you make healthier meal choices, but it can also save you time, and money and reduce wastage.
34. Create a family bucket list – Get together with all the family and make a bucket list of all the things and places you want to see and do together.
35. Organise photos together – Do you have loads of old photos? If so why not go through them together and make a new photo album?
36. Do some baking – Measuring ingredients and following recipes give us a sense of routine, which can be calming plus you get to enjoy some tasty treats!
37. So an activity together such as a puzzle or board game – Puzzles not only keep the brain stimulated, but they’re also a great way to entertain the family for a few hours.
38. Take a walk together – Taking a walk together and getting some much-needed fresh air will do wonders for everyone’s well-being!
39. Plan a trip or day out – We all need something to look forward to!
40. Have some fun crafting – Crafting is a great way of indulging in some creativity, it doesn’t have to be complicated, just something that you enjoy. You could also try your hand at something new such as candle or soap making.
41. Make a time capsule and bury it in the garden – It’s important to teach children the importance of memories at a young age. By creating a time capsule, you are preserving a specific time in life and it gives children something to look forward to as they get older.
42. Start a vegetable/herb garden – Creating a vegetable garden at home is a great way to eat fresh, healthy food while teaching your children where their food comes from. If you don’t have room or a garden then why not try potting some herbs instead?
43. Watch a documentary – Instead of watching the same old rubbish on TV, watch an interesting documentary instead.
Productive Things To Do When Bored – Well-being:
44. Go for a walk in nature – One of the best ways to help boost your well-being is to take a walk in nature. Walking not only benefits your mind it can also help your physical health too!
45. Write down things that make you happy – You could also start a gratitude jar. That way when things are getting you down, you can be reminded of all the good things in your life!
46. Have a spa day at home. – Make some DIY beauty treatments from regular items you probably already have in the kitchen and treat yourself to a little pampering!
47. Start a journal – Journaling is a great way to relieve stress and understand your thoughts and feelings better!
48. Learn to meditate – Research has shown that meditation may calm the mind and promote better quality sleep.
49. Learn a new language – I use Duolingo, You can choose from 37 languages plus it’s completely free!
50. Write some positive affirmations – Affirmations are positive statements that can help you challenge and overcome negative thoughts and behaviours. They inspire as well as simple reminders helping us to focus on our goals!
51. Learn a new skill – Learning a new skill occupies your mind and helps you focus on something positive. It’s a way to escape the never-ending news and social media cycle and do something positive.
52. Indulge in some self-care – Self-care is important to maintain a healthy relationship with yourself as it produces positive feelings and boosts your confidence and self-esteem.
53. Take time out from social media – It’s important to take breaks from social media because studies show that spending too much time scrolling can increase feelings of stress, anxiety, and depression. By putting your phone away you are also giving yourself time to focus on more productive things!
54. Try some yoga – Yoga isn’t just great for your physical health, it’s also a great way of reducing stress and anxiety and helps promote positive feelings and increased well-being!
55. Practice positive self-talk – Self-talk is something we all do naturally throughout our waking hours. People are becoming more aware that positive self-talk is a powerful tool for increasing their self-confidence and curbing negative emotions. People who can master positive self-talk are thought to be more confident, motivated, and productive.
56. Create a morning routine – Are you one of those people who press snooze countless times and then rush around getting ready for work? If so, create a morning routine that encourages you to be more productive and hence feel better about the day ahead!
Productive Things To Do When Bored – Career:
57. Set career goals and make a plan – If you want to become successful, setting goals is essential! They give us direction, motivation and a road map to help us reach the finish line!
58. Set a 5-year plan – Just like creating goals, setting a 5-year plan can help us envisage where we want to be in the future!
59. Organise your workspace – When was the last time you organised your home office workspace?
60. Watch some career-inspiring ted talks – TED Talks are influential videos from expert speakers on education, business, science, tech and creativity, with subtitles in 100+ languages.
61. Re-work your CV – If you’re not happy in your current job role, why not update your CV so it’s good to go as soon as any new opportunities pop up?
62. Connect with professionals you admire – Networking with other like-minded professionals is a great way of gaining knowledge in a particular niche. It can also help get your name out there when new work opportunities arise!
63. Write some to-do lists – One of the best ways of staying productive and organised is to write ‘to-do’ lists!
64. Learn new job skills – Looking for a promotion or career change? If so, find out what skills you need and start working towards them!
Productive Things To Do When Bored – Finances:
65. Check your bank account – Are you one of those people who are scared to check your bank balance? If so, pluck up the courage and check it out now! You can’t change your financial standing if you keep avoiding it!
66. Create a budget – If you are looking for more financial stability or want to save for something expensive then creating a budget you can stick to is essential!
67. Make a plan to pay off any debt – If you have a lot of debt, now is the time to make a plan to pay it off! Start with a budget and then you’ll see how much you can put aside for repayments without leaving yourself short!
68. Review your credit report – I use Clear Score, and it’s free!
69. Start an emergency fund – Or at least make a plan on how to start one!
70. Learn about saving money – You’ll be amazing at what you can save if you looked into your spending habits!
71. Check out comparison websites – See if you can save money on utilities and other household expenses.
72. Start a side hustle – Earn some extra money selling unwanted items online or start selling your digital products.
Other Productive Things To Do When Bored:
73. Read a book – Nothing better than a good book to transport you into another world!
74. Start a blog – Why not start a blog? Check out Lyrical Host for an easy way to get yourself a self-hosted website!
75. Get inspired with a podcast – Podcasts are a great way of learning new things and boosting productivity!
76. Create an inspiration board – Pinterest is great for getting ideas!
77. Learn to play an instrument – Did you know learning to play an instrument uses virtually every part of the brain? Learning a musical instrument not only sustains and feeds the brain but also improves so many other cognitive and physical aspects of the human body. Plus it’s quite fun!
78. Take up photography – You don’t need a fancy camera to start taking pictures. For beginners, the camera on your phone will do just fine, then if it’s something you are serious about, you can then upgrade to a better camera if required!
79. Upcycle some furniture – Do you have an old chest or desk that’s looking a little old-fashioned? If so, give it a lick of paint and breath some new life into it!
80. Try some new recipes – Bored of the same meals all the time? Well, now’s the time to try out some new recipes! Pinterest is a great source of inspiration!
81. Create a bucket list – Travel at the moment can be complicated but that doesn’t mean we can’t plan for the future!
82. Plan a vacation – Why not start planning that dream trip?
83. Write a letter to your future self – By writing to your future self, you can measure the goals achieved with regards to what you’re past self thought you would achieve in the future. An easy way to do this is by using Future Me, a free service that will email your letter back to you on any given date!
84. Make a scrapbook – Keeping a scrapbook organizes your pictures and helps you keep a journal of memories. Even day-to-day life, when recorded, becomes history. Photos and memorabilia can then be preserved for generations if stored correctly.
85. Take up a new hobby – If you do have plenty of extra time on your hands then why not take up a new hobby? If ya not sure what to do, try a few different things, you never know it could change your life!
Boredom can be an unpleasant feeling, but it doesn’t have to take over our lives. If we think of boredom as a sign to reflect and seek joy in the small things, perhaps we can find some interesting and creative ways to alleviate our feelings. From cleanses and detoxes, to gardening and tackling that mountain of laundry, these 85 productive things to do when bored will start you on your journey toward enjoying life a little more day by day. Give yourself something fun, productive and memorable to do next time boredom takes hold because you never know what new adventure awaits at the end!
Thanks so much for stopping by, I appreciate every one of you who takes the time to read and make it to the end! I have lots of exciting new content coming in the next few weeks so make sure you pop back to catch up!